Nothing beats lounging around with friends and family on the 4th of July. BBQ’s, laughs and fun is what many of us associate the 4th of July with; however, this might not be how your pets view the 4th. They may see it as a time when the house if full of strangers, lots of noise and activities which can be stressful and overly exciting. And then following this stressful day comes a night of big bangs that can send kitty or pup cowering in a corner, running to hide under the bed or even worse, disoriented and running away from home!
Here are some tips to help keep your pets safe this 4th of July:
- Make sure you home is a secure safe haven for your pets. Some pets are not the socially butterflies we want them to be so it is important to understand their needs. Make sure they have an escape proof area of the home where they can feel safe.
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can get them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, they could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed and even go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
- Most us will be spending a lot of time out in the sun and therefore need sunscreen. Well don’t forget that some dogs need sunscreen too and as such, they need sunscreen specifically made for them. Ingestion of sunscreen made for humans can cause vomiting, diarrhea, extreme thirst and lethargy. Check your neighborhood pet store for a sunscreen made just for pup.
- Mind where you place those matches, lighters and lighter fluid and make sure these items are out of pet’s reach. The ASPCA warns that some matches contain chlorates which can potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing, and even cause kidney disease.
- I am sure those of you who read my blogs get tired of reading this but again: no human food scraps! Sure Fido and kitty are drooling over the smell of your BBQ but keeping your pets on their normal diet during potential stressful/exciting times can help prevent indigestion, gas, and diarrhea…dealing with these things are just as unpleasant for you as they are for your pets.
- Please do not put glow jewelry on your pets and never allow them to play with it. The luminescent material is not highly toxic but can cause excessive drooling and gastrointestinal inflammation and irritation. Additionally, swallowing pieces of plastic is a choking hazard for your pets.
- Keep citronellas candles, insect coils and other replants out of reach. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal irritation and in some cases, central nervous system depression. Also, never apply your mosquito repellant to your pets. These can be toxic and dangerous for your pets. Heck, I get sick from using most repellants! Thankfully there are mosquito repellants made specifically for pets so please check with your neighborhood pet store.
- Never use fireworks around your pets. Obviously you know that lit fireworks are dangerous but unused fireworks can also be dangerous. Many contain potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals that are toxic. So please keep your firework safely out of reach
- Firework shows are loud, full of loud people and are honestly no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take your pets to any festivities outside your own home.
If your pets are highly reactive to social gatherings and/or the big bomb of fireworks, try using items like a Thunder Shirt for pup and some cat nip for kitty (yes, cat nip is also soothing to kitty). Additionally, use of pheromones work very well for many pets, try Feliway for kitty and Nutri-Vet or DAP for dogs.
I hope your 4th of July celebration is a great one!
*I am only human so please let me know if you see a typo :) firstname.lastname@example.org