Critter Queen wants to make sure your pets are jolly and safe this holiday season! We understand you are probably a little tired of the do’s and don’t shouted from the mountain tops year after year but this is great information to share with new pet parents, and who knows, there might be something listed here that is new to you
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
Be sure to securely anchor your Christmas with a sturdy tree stand so it doesn’t tip and fall. Also be aware of the tree water, which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset if ingested by your pet. Additionally, stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea. Be safe and keep the tree water covered.
Kitties love tinsel! It sparkles and its easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It’s best to leave tinsel at the store.
No Feasting for the Fur Kids
By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate, anything sweetened with xylitol, or fatty trimmings or bones, but do you know the lengths to which an enterprising fur kid will go to get something yummy? Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure lids on garbage cans.
Looking to stuff your pet’s stockings? Choose gifts that are safe!
- Dogs have been known to tear their toys apart and swallowing the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods that are safely digestible are a great choice. Also, consider chews that can be easily chewed and digested; Zuke’s Z Bones, and Paragon Whimzees Alligators are a couple favorites. Many pet owners love to give bones, hoves, antlers and Nylabones to their dogs but more and more we hear of dogs that are chipping, cracking or breaking their teeth on these items…this includes the Queen’s own pup E-Dee
- As for kitty, long, stringy things are a feline’s dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that’s too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer.
Forget the Mistletoe & Holly
Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies, can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe flowers and plants.
Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you leave the room, please put the candle out.
Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.
Make sure your guest respect the pet rules of the house. When in doubt, keep pets safe and comfortable in your room or a spare room. A quite space to retreat will also keep your pets less stressed and out from under foot.
Careful with Cocktails
If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
New Year’s Noise
As you count down to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines, if ingested, perhaps necessitating surgery. Also be aware that noisy poppers (and fireworks) can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears.
From the Critter Queen Family to yours:
Happy Holidays & a Joyous New Year!
*Some information taken from ASPCA